segunda-feira, 13 de junho de 2011

IDIOMATIC EXPRESSIONS


THE INS AND OUTS = os macetes

He really understands the ins and outs of this business.

GO AND JUMP IN THE LAKE! = Vá plantar batatas!

**** BEAT IT!
GET LOST!
TAKE A HIKE! (US)

LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY = pessoa muito animada

I'm glad Pete will be there because he's the life and soul of the party.

ON THE HOUSE = por conta da casa

When the bartender announced that customers could have a drink on the house, everybody went crazy.

**** Podemos dizer também "It's on me!" (É por minha conta). Ou então, "My treat".

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON = almost never, very seldom, hardly ever (less informal)

Burt visits his in-laws once in a blue moon.

TO PAMPER A CHILD = mimar uma criança

Parents sometimes pamper their child.

****** A PAMPERED CHILD
TO SPOIL

SHELF LIFE = validade, vida útil de um produto

Dairy products usually have a short shelf-life.

PEEPHOLE = olho mágico

TO SHOOT THE BREEZE = jogar conversa fora

Jeff enjoys spending his Saturdays shooting the breeze.

CHEAPSKATE = mão-de-vaca (= TIGHTWARD)

Larry is such a cheapskate!

TO CATCH SOMEBODY RED-HANDED = pegar no flagra

Robin did not expect to be caught red-handed cheating on the exam.

TO MAKE TRACKS = to go away

I'm getting late. We'd better make tracks for the tube station.

TO LICK SOMEBODY'S BOOTS = bajular alguém

I refuse to go licking his boots.

UP THE CREEK (WITHOUT A PADDLE) = em apuros

If he doesn't pay me I'll be up the creek.

**** IN A JAM

TO CUT SOMEBODY SOME SLACK =  pegar leve com alguém

Cut me some slack, will you?! I just lost my job.

TO CALL A SPADE A SPADE = dar nome aos bois

He usually calls a spade a spade.

TO FLIP (YOUR LID) = ficar furioso

He'll flip his lid if you do that again.

ON THE WARPATH = em pé de guerra

Be careful! Dad's on the warpath again.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário